Have your say

The feedback process

Any individual, group or organisation can provide feedback on consultations.

Your feedback must:

  • be in writing
  • contain your contact details
  • be clear, concise and clearly explain your views. 

We need to receive your submission by the due date of the consultation process.

We will inform you of the different ways to provide your feedback for each consultation, as well as how and where you can submit your feedback.

Consultation forms are available:

Formal and informal consultations

We run formal and informal consultations. The processes for each differ slightly.

Formal consultations are based on legal requirements and will involve:

  • a public notice in newspapers
  • public submission process

Council activities that must go through formal consultation process are:

  • long-term plans
  • annual plans
  • bylaws
  • local board plans
  • district plans and
  • the Unitary Plan.

In an informal consultation process, we will identify who is likely to be affected by a decision and we will ask the affected community or group to provide feedback on draft plans and policies. 

This process can also be used to help shape the development of a draft plan that will later go out for formal consultation.

How we use your feedback

Before we make a decision, we will consider your feedback, along with advice from council officers and other evidence. 

For formal consultations, your feedback (submission) will be made public as part of a report.

You may also be invited to attend a hearing and speak about your submission.

For informal consultations we will prepare a summary report from feedback received and your contact details won't be made public.

Once we have made a decision, we will inform you of the outcome in one of the following ways:

  • by post – a letter outlining the decision made and the reasons for that decision
  • by email
  • online.

Your feedback helps us to improve our website. If you have feedback about our services (not the website), please contact us.