Giving written approval

As part of our process for assessing resource consents, Auckland Council considers whether members of the public may be adversely affected by activities proposed in resource consent applications.

Where members of the public are identified as adversely affected, they will have an opportunity to make a submission on the application. This process is called notification. For more on the notification process, see notifications and hearings.  

If we think you could be adversely affected by a proposal, we'll tell the applicant.  They then have the opportunity to gain your written approval for their activity. If they gain written approval from all members of the public we identify as being adversely affected, their application will not need to be notified.

The applicant (or someone acting on their behalf) is entitled to contact you in person. It's your responsibility to understand why your approval is being sought, and what effects the proposed activity will have on you and your property.

We can't give advice about whether you should or shouldn't give your approval, but this page has more information about your options.

If you're unsure whether you should provide written approval, we recommend seeking independent advice.

Your rights

You are within your rights to refuse approval. You do not need to give reasons and there is no set timeframe in which you must decide.

If an applicant gives you a date to respond by, this is usually for their convenience. It is not a council deadline, so if you need more time to consider the proposal, ask for it.

You are entitled to discuss the application with the applicant and seek out possible solutions to any concerns you may have. The applicant may be willing to negotiate and change their proposal to reduce its impact on you. You should ensure that any changes to the proposal you have agreed on are incorporated into the plans and application material that you sign.

The council only accepts unconditional approval from affected persons, so you can't give conditional or partial approval.

Sometimes people enter into private agreements outside the scope of the resource consent application, but as these are private we have no power to enforce or monitor them.

Giving approval

If you want to give your approval, you should sign the Written Approval of Affected Persons form and the application plans. You can download a copy of the form from our forms and documents page.

You may also sign the Assessment of Environmental Effects for the application. The applicant should show you all these documents.

Ask the applicant for a copy of the signed documents and keep them so you know what you are agreeing to.

Until a decision is made on the application, you are allowed to change your mind, even if you have given written approval.

If you choose to withdraw your approval, you should confirm this to us in writing as soon as possible, as we may need to notify the application. 

Your feedback helps us to improve our website. If you have feedback about our services (not the website), please contact us.