Rules for signs

The Signage Bylaw 2015 is in place to manage all signage across the region. Rules are based on the zone your business is located in. You can check your zone in the Unitary Plan map viewer.

Once you know which zone you're in, view the factsheets below to find out about the size, type and number of signs you can have.

Other than in the former Auckland City area, the district plans contain rules controlling signage.

Fact sheets

City centre zone (PDF 174KB)

General business and business park zones (PDF 680KB)

Light industry and heavy industry zones (PDF 678KB)

Metropolitan centre zone (PDF 173KB)

Neighbourhood centre and local centre zones (PDF 172KB)

Residential zone (PDF 110KB)

Rural zone (PDF 57KB)

Town centre and mixed use zones (PDF 174KB)

Impact of local district plans on signs

The Auckland Unitary Plan became operative in part on 15 November 2016. District plans are now operative only in relation to the parts of the Unitary Plan that are under appeal. To find out more you can read the plan.

However, the Resource Consents department does not require the plan rules to be complied with. Reference should only be made to the provisions in the Signage Bylaw 2015 and the ‘comprehensive development signage’ provisions in the Unitary Plan. For more information contact us and speak to a planner.

Signage in the former Auckland City area is not covered by the district plan rules.

If you’re not sure what former council area you’re in, please use our former council locator tool on this page.

Resource consents for signs

The Signage Bylaw 2015 does not apply to signage in specific circumstances.

You will need to refer to legacy district plan rules, the Auckland Unitary Plan and the Billboards Bylaw 2007 (former Auckland City area only) if your sign is: 

These types of signs may require a resource consent.

Contact us and speak to a planner to find out.

Does my sign need approval?

Some signage also requires approval from us before you put it up. You need an approval to display:

  • publicly visible sign on the roof of any building
  • portable sign for a business not on the ground floor and no direct ground floor access to the road or public place
  • signs on street furniture (e.g. poles, rubbish bins, telephone boxes, bus shelters).

Contact us to discuss getting approval.

Real estate signs

The Signage Bylaw 2015 outlines new rules for real estate signs in all of Auckland.

View our real estate signs factsheet (PDF 76KB) for more information.

Community event signs

We recommend using community notice boards to advertise events such as galas, fairs and other events held by not-for-profit groups. For more information, see Community notice boards.

To find out other ways of advertising your event, read our community event signs factsheet (PDF 52KB).



Your feedback helps us to improve our website. If you have feedback about our services (not the website), please contact us.